DISCOUNT SOBER LIVING RULES
Updated March 2012
These rules are intended to help us and you make your stay at Discount Sober Living a positive and
beneficial experience in your Recovery. We want to help you in your new sober life. These rules are
intended to make it easier for people to live together who aren't related while creating the synergy that
sober living can provide to people in recovery
1) Any use of drugs or alcohol will cause forfeiture of rent and immediate discharge from Discount
Sober Living. Discharged Residents may be readmitted subject to staff approval, meaning based on
you overall conduct during previous stay and events surrounding your discharge. If you are readmitted,(
must be clean and sober to get back in) your rent will be reapplied as if you never left, so you would only
lose rent for those days you where gone. There is never a refund of rent.
2) New Residents should let staff know if they have a preference for a certain household chore
because each resident of Discount Sober Living will be responsible for completing their assigned
household chore daily. Each resident is also responsible for keeping their own area neat and clean,
including making their bed every day and washing their bed linens once a week.
3) There are two house meeting each week, and attendance is mandatory, exception for people who
are at work at that time. The meetings cover both house matters and recovery. Residents will be
exposed to a variety of recovery programs, from various Evidence Based Programs e.g., Smart
Recovery Program to Testimonial based programs e.g., 12 step programs. Residents may and are
encouraged to become meeting facilitators at their own election. Facilitator class is online at www.
smartrecovery.com and the certification is good everywhere there are meetings and for starting new
meetings. Visitors are welcome to attend our Recovery Meetings.
4) Any resident who has knowledge of another resident using alcohol or drugs must inform
5) The taking or using of another resident’s property (including food) without the owner’s permission
will result in immediate termination of residency at Discount Sober Living.
6) a) Curfew is 12:00 midnight until 6:00 AM.
b) Residents must furnish the House Manager with
their work schedule.
c) Outside overnight stays must be approved by Manager beforehand
d) Residents must sign in and out each time they enter or leave. “Out” is not an acceptable
remark on the sheet.
e) Exceptions for verifiable work, and Recovery related functions (on a case by case basis).
7) To accommodate all the residents’ use of common areas, sleeping in common areas is not
allowed (except at the Pool it’s ok). No blankets or bed pillows in living room.
8) Eating is not allowed anywhere but the kitchen, dining room and outside. Each resident is
responsible for doing their own dishes and cleaning up after themselves.
9) Residents must answer call waiting while talking on the phone to at least take a message.
10) Televisions and radios are allowed in bedrooms. If anyone requests that televisions and radios
be turned down or off, their request must be honored.
11) There is no smoking indoors and no use of candles and incense that requires being lit
12) There is to be no use of thumb tacks or anything else that punctures the walls
13) If a resident is discharged, the resident will pack their belongings and leave the property
14) Rent is non-refundable for any reason.
15) These rules are general guidelines and do not encompass all conduct that is unacceptable.
Common sense will apply
16) Management will have sole discretion to determine whether resident(s) have violated any of the
rules. Any violation of rules is cause for discharge of the resident from the premises, but discharge is of
course the last resort.
17) We encourage Residents to speak with management about any concerns so we can better serve
them. Ultimately, if a resident has a problem with the way Discount Sober Living is run, the resident has
a right to move out, or accept the way it is.
18) It is a privilege to live at Vision House, not a right.
19) Visitors are ONLY allowed for special events such as; BBQs and House meetings.
Good Luck, and welcome to the beginning of your new sober Life
Resident Signature_________________________ Date____________